Sunday 30 November 2014

'Matched' review... no spoilers

'Matched' by Ally Condie
 
So this will be a really quick review because I did not like this book; I finished it but I felt no love for it. I don't feel like anything substantial happened in this book and I just haven't been able to force myself to continue with the series.
 
Matched trilogy, by Ally Condie

Okay, so matched is a dystopian novel set in a world where there is only 100 left of everything cultural; 100 pieces of music, 100 pieces of art... and there is no writing. The art of picking up a pen or pencil and writing your words died when every student received a tablet computer to type instead.

This is Cassis's story of being matched; the society chooses your future partner however you can also choose not to be matched and cannot have children or a wife in the future. So on Cassia's seventeenth birthday she is matched but when things start changing and the truth starts emerging Cassia's life is turned upside down.

However I felt that this book had an abundance of potential however it failed to reach this? I also feel that it has a similar basis to Divergent but they just couldn't pull it off in a unique way.

Parts of this book have stuck with me long after reading but it was the world that has stuck with me and nothing to do with the actual plot... which is extremely disappointing.

I feel that the hype that surrounded this series set it up to fail.

I give matched 2/5 stars because it couldn't hold me and started a really bad reading slump for me. I think this is a book that falls into the category of poor first books; where the focus has been too much on developing the world instead of the plot.

What are your thoughts on this book?

Happy reading
Helen x 


No comments:

Post a Comment