Sunday 22 February 2015

REVIEW: Why the 'Red Queen' had me gripped...

Red Queen by Victoria Aveyard
Page count: 383
Stars... 4 stars!

'This is a world divided by blood- red or silver.
 
Reds a commoners, ruled by a silver elite in possession of God-like superpowers. And to Mare Barrow, a seventeen year old Red girl from the poverty stricken Stilts, it seems like nothing will ever change.'
 
 
Let me introduce you to this awesome, well written and exceptionally alluring world; where your not only divided by the money in your pocket but by the colour of your blood... one colour leads you to richness, safety and a well-rounded good life... the other leads to slavery, sublimation and a painful death... remind anyone of a particularly hideous part of our history? Thought so! I this twist on the idea of slavery, one race dominating another has been told countless times... and I believe will be told for eons to come; because these are the lessons that need to be learnt! Now I could go on for hours talking about the symbolism between the different aspects of the book and slavery but lets face it, not many people will want to read an analytical breakdown (which will almost certainly contain huge-ass spoilers!).
 
Lets talk about this book; I am going to attempt to stay spoiler free because this has not long been released (10th Feb 2015) but let me tell you... if you love kickass female leads... a Royal family with more kinks than a well used suit of armour... amazing super-powers and a story of climbing from the bottom to the top... then run to the shop! Now!
 
So our main character is Mare Molly Barrow; a thief from a run down hopeless Red city... who picks the wrong persons pocket...when she gets taken to the 'arena' to witness the 'Silvers' fight when she discovers her own superhuman ability that; as a red, she shouldn't have! That's when everything gets tipped on its head and she is thrown into a world of rebellion and royalty.
 
Now these themes may sound a little similar to some of you? Red rising come to mind? The legend trilogy? X-men? Oh its clear in this epic first instalment that all of these amazing elements were used for inspiration!
 
Oh the emotions! Now after you've read a few fantasy novels... or even a handful of decent YA... you get to know that the protagonist always gets betrayed! So when your sat wondering who of the amazing other characters will be the one to betray her you know your onto a good book!
 
Although some of the plot twists were pretty predicable... Mare being special... Mare being key a to rebellion... Mare ending up where she does *these spoilers are getting harder and harder to avoid!*. The book was written exceptionally, and I mean that today is my 21st birthday and I spent the day reading this book! (And of course writing this review) It dragged me in after about 50 pages *hence no 5 stars!*... if the book had pulled me in from the get go it would be flat out 5 star but it seemed to drag until she discovered her ability; after that your spiralled through a dangerous and exciting world.
 
There are quotes from every book that sticks with the reader... and this is no different... I think this quote sums up Mare better than any explanation than I can ever possibly give:
 
'His touch feels like betrayal. "Mare, you don't have to keep trying to save me."
"I will as long as you wont."
 


Now if you liked this book... or just the sound of this book then I highly recommend the Legend Trilogy *which I have reviewed- check down the right hand side there* and Red Rising!






Don't forget to like, share, Google+ and follow my blog for more posts direct to your screen!





2 comments:

  1. Great review! I love kick ass female characters, but have been on the fence about this one because of the mixed reviews. Thanks for the heads up that it drags for a bit until she discovers her abilities! Good to know. Think I'll see if my library has any available to be on the safe side.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great way... if your not sure about a book (because of reviews) I would definitely recommend getting the book out of the library... save precious book buying money for other books :-D

      Delete