Sunday 27 July 2014

Book Review... The Divergent Trilogy

The Divergent Trilogy by Veronica Roth
 
So as you all can tell I recently participated in this year's BookTubeAThon and for the series challenge I chose the acclaimed Divergent Trilogy because I had been aching to get these read since I bought the first one a while ago. So I read all three books in two days even though they are a decent length; around 500 pages each... so as you can imagine I didn't get much else done while reading these.
 
If I have to pick a favourite book out of all three I think Divergent may have to be my favourite, with Allegiant being my least... I know I know not what everyone expects... but I was spoiled beyond belief and it ruined the experience for me; if I'm brutally honest its why I put off reading them for so long. So please be aware that the rest of this review does contain spoilers and if you haven't read the books yet please don't continue for the sake of your view of the book.
 
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
Well since your still here I guess its safe to continue; these are my opinions on the books and I am sure that others have very different opinions and I would love to know these.
 
The Plot:
 
So overall I found the plot well thought through; it had enough twists and turns to warrant three books but some of them seemed pointless... take for example the subplot of 'Fours' father; the first two books build up the hatred and anger and at the moment he could release what has been built up... he lets him walk away and its like the rest of the story is cut away????
 
I loved the way the story wove itself around the city like a snake; moving from one place to another and touched everyone's lives in one way or another... even when the story branched out of the city and explored the unknown world and when they learnt the truth of their existence it resonated with the people still inside the walls.
 
Okay, so I do have one problem with the plot.... she dies and this bugs me... her death is a farce and lost in the rush of everything that has happened... she fights for everyone but no one fights to save her... it was a real kick in the teeth. I suppose there is symbolism behind her death... her final sacrifice to save those that she loves... to forgive her brother and to show Four that she really does love him. But I think it was rushed and not thought through... the chapters after her death was emotional but not nearly as emotional as I would have thought... but that one page where she dies...she's lost in everything else that is happening and for the main character of the story to die... I would have thought she deserved a better written ending. But maybe the loss in the chaos and the lack of words is what everyone's end will be like; just another death and the rest of the world carries on around them.
 
The characters:
 
Okay so the main characters were developed quite well, had a good backstory which influenced their perceptions and you could see the effect it has on them however my main concern was for the secondary characters which alas were forgotten... I don't think they were developed as well as they should have been to pull off a story of this calibre... but she made it work.
 
The Writing:
 
I loved it... what else can I say. It wasn't flouncy but effective and for the most part she drew on all the appropriate emotions until the end and then I felt it died away and we were left with the bare bones of the story with no meat to cling to.
 
Overall I found the trilogy to be a page turner; I loved the world and although i had minor problems with the plot I found the story wrapped itself around my mind and i found myself dreaming I was going through initiation, or being divergent or fighting those who should never have been my enemy for several days after turning the last page.
 
I give the Divergent Trilogy 5 stars (*****)
 
Would love to hear your thoughts... leave a comment below if you agree with what I believe or if you have different opinions, I read the trilogy extremely quickly however some of my opinions may change once I can sit and analyse the world and the characters.
 
I hope I haven't spoiled anyone.
 
Helen x

No comments:

Post a Comment