Tuesday 22 July 2014

#booktubeathon wrap up

Well ladies and gentlemen the end #BookTubeAThon has come and I know that we are all very sad... however looking back over the last 7 days I can honestly say that I am proud of the amount I have read and I am sure that each and every one of you can be proud.

So in total I read my whole TBR pile as well as a few additional books, this also means that I COMPLETED ALL THE READING CHALLENGES :-D

So lets look at each challenge and how I completed it:

  • To read a book to movie adaptation:
    To complete this I read Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone and then watched the film later that day. My thoughts of this book will never change, it is the essence of my childhood and was the series that hooked me into both reading and writing.
  • To start and complete a series:To complete this challenge I started a new series, The Divergent Trilogy were screaming at me to be read as they have sat on my shelf for what feels like a life-time. So I picked up divergent the first day and by the end of day 3 I had the whole series complete; my feelings about this series are mixed. Overall I found the storyline to be compelling in sections however there were times where I found it slow. Everyone ranted and raved about the emotions but I didn't feel myself getting drawn in; at the end there were elements that sparked some emotion but not what I expected... however I think that this is because I was expecting what happened and well it ruined the experience for me... has anyone else found this?
  • To read a book with red on the cover:So I walked up to my bookshelf and grabbed Half-Bad; I had only heard the odd thing about this book and since I had never read about witches I was compelled with this choice. I also read this book in one easy sitting; true I found that I didn't get attached to any of the characters deep enough to care about who lived or died but the storyline itself is extremely compelling and I found myself turning the pages to find out what happened next. I cannot wait for 'Half-Wild' to be released in Spring of 2015.
  • To read a book from a genre least read this year:I decided to read a crime novel as I haven't read any for more than a year; The Reckoning by Jane Casey was quick paced for most of the book and summed up in an unexpected and fascinating way.
  • To read a book chosen by someone else:So I presented my mom with my full TBR list, little to say she was not impressed by the number on that list and the fact that its continually growing. After about an hour of flicking through the list she decided on The Screaming Staircase by Jonathon Stroud and let me just say WOW...the plot twists and the way it was actually written was outstanding however to say the main characters were meant to be children, they were written as if they were adults which confused me slightly. They didn't show any signs of being children... even mature children wouldn't react the way the characters did.
  • To read a book with pictures:I decided to go with a smaller book of a slightly more childish nature; believe it or not I had never read Matilda by Roald Dahl... I know I was disgusted in myself... so that was what I chose. It was really fast paced and exactly what you would expect of a children's book written by one of the most prolific children's authors. However I also thought it was written to please both adults and children as there are some extremely dark and adult themes throughout the book.
  • To read a total of 7 books:Well as you can tell from above I read 8 books as well as an additional book of War of the Worlds Quick read.
So this week has been extremely busy for reading but I am soooooooo thankful to Ariel Bissett and the rest of the awesome team for making #BookTubeAThon again... I hope this runs again and again... now to wait for the next one :-(

No comments:

Post a Comment