Saturday 16 August 2014

'Legend' book review... no spoilers!

'Legend' by Marie Lu

I have started a new method for doing my book reviews; firstly, the moment I finish a book I write a small paragraph about my immediate feelings about the books. After this I will then expand on these points and develop it into a full review.

"I couldn't get into the start of this book, however I feel that this is due to my recent finish of another series and I was still hankering for more. However after a day away from the book I found myself loving this book for what it is... I fell in love with the writing and the characters. I still feel my heart flutter at the thought of the intertwining emotion and action... I need more of this series."- less than 10 minutes after finishing Legend. 
 
A more detailed review...
 
I have already admitted that I wasn't caught by the beginning of this novel and I can honestly say that this was not the novel's fault but my own; thinking back over the event that occur in the first 50 pages there is action packed scenes that claw at the right emotions at the right time. Unfortunately my heart wasn't in the right place to appreciate this when I read these chapters.
 
I think the introduction to each of the main characters was detailed but not like a CV as I find many books are; authors tend to just list information about the character instead of weaving it into the story, however I can honestly say that Marie Lu is not one of these authors and has done a truly remarkable job of weaving just the right amount of information into the storyline. I especially like how the characters develop alongside each other in their personal discoveries; almost as if each is pushing the other to become better.
 
As the start of a trilogy I believe it leaves the right number of unanswered questions at the end to warrant additional books however I believe that this story is not truly dependant on follow up stories to make it complete; rather it stands its own ground as an individual book... which I greatly admire.
 
There is a physical element to the book that I really liked; the different fonts allowed for quick distinction between the two points of view; because at times you could mistake one for the other but only on the rare occasion.
 
Overall I'd give 'Legend' 4/5 stars; however it would make 4.5 / 5 if I had been able to fully appreciate the beginning. The reason it wasn't a 5/5 was because it couldn't draw me away from my previous book; maybe its not this books fault but I believe that in order to deserve 5/5 you need to be able to make the reader forget everything outside the book... including the last book you read!
 
I'd love to see your views on this book; please refrain from spoilers as I don't want any readers being spoilt as an air of mystery is needed to fully love this book.
 
Helen x 


No comments:

Post a Comment